West Florida Public Library announced today their Main Library, located at 200 West Gregory Street in Downtown Pensacola, will temporarily close December 15, 2012 through January 7, 2013. The library has been under construction and renovation since 2011. The temporary closing comes as crews wrap up the second phase of the library expansion.
The book drop, located on the backside of the Main Library building, will remain open during the temporary closure; however, books and other items may be picked up and returned to any of the other five WFPL branch libraries located throughout Escambia County. Any items placed on hold will be available for pick up at WFPL’s Westside Branch, located at 1580 West Cervantes Street, unless otherwise requested.
“The Library has long been a part of the foundation of our community”, said Darlene Howell, Library Administrator. “The improved facility will be a focal point for the City of Pensacola and a hub of learning and growth for the people who live here.”
WFPL’s new 51,000 square foot Main Library will feature a wave themed area for children and teens, access to more public computers, community meeting rooms, increased parking, a Friends of the Library bookstore, and a coffee shop. The building is the first City facility to gain LEED certification.
The project is funded through $6 million in local option sales tax, a $606,500 U.S. Department of Energy grant, and $1 million left over from the construction of WFPL’s Tryon Branch Library on Langley Avenue which came in under budget. The Friends of the Pensacola Public Library contributed $100,000.
When the Main Library reopens, the physical address will change to 239 North Spring Street.